MSE was founded in 1936, by Dr Ernest Foulkes, initially as a manufacturer and distributor of machine tools and equipment. Throughout 1930s and early 1940s, MSE was appointed by the UK ministry of supply to act as lease lend agents for American machine tools, the name then stood for Machine Shop Equipment.
With the founding of the National Health Service in 1948 MSE was retained by them to develop hospital Microtomes, which until then had not been manufactured in the UK. In the early 1950s, the newly formed Atomic Energy Authority approached MSE requesting them to manufacture a range of centrifuges for use in their research. Following the change of focus from machine tool manufacture to centrifuges, the acronym MSE was changed to Measuring and Scientific Equipment.
In 1990, MSE was acquired by Sanyo and assimilated into the Gallenkamp brand. In 2003, Sanyo Gallenkamp sold the manufacturing wing of MSE to Henderson Biomedical Ltd and manufacturing moved to Lower Sydenham in South London. Following completion of the recent acquisition in 2018, Labtech has been working closely with Henderson Biomedical’s Board to ensure a smooth technology transfer.